Rotherham United kept their hopes of Championship survival alive as they played out a goalless draw in their game in hand against Luton Town on Tuesday night.

In a frantic first half, Elijah Adebayo hit the post for the hosts, before Millers goalkeeper Jamal Blackman pushed a Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall corner onto the woodwork and Matt Crooks followed suit at the other end.

Proceedings became increasingly tense after the break, and Crooks had the chance to win it late on for Rotherham but he could only head Ryan Giles’ cross wide, whilst Luton’s Sonny Bradley had a goal chalked off in the dying seconds.

A point for Paul Warne’s side keeps them in 22nd after playing their eleventh game in 33 days, two points behind Derby outside the bottom three. The draw for Luton, meanwhile, means they have secured a top-half finish in the Championship for the first time in 15 years.

The first half was both frantic and wide open in spells. Luton perhaps looked slightly more likely to peg their opponents back, and almost did so after 21 minutes when Adebayo waiting for James Bree’s looping ball to drop before firing a half-volley against the post.

Less than 10 minutes later, they came even closer when Dewsbury-Hall’s inswinging corner was impressively clawed onto the woodwork by Chelsea loanee Blackman, and subsequently cleared by skipper Richard Wood.

The two teams continued to trade chances, and the woodwork was struck for a third time just before half time. Crooks stretched out a leg to meet Michael Smith’s knock-down and he flicked the ball over Simon Sluga, who gathered it after the ball hit the inside of the right-hand post.

There was a nervous air about Kenilworth Road in the second half and openings became less frequent for both sides.

It has often been the case this season that Rotherham have created an abundance of chances and just been unable to finish them and that was the case 18 minutes from time. Giles whipped in a great cross from the left hand side, but Crooks was left with his head in his hands after glancing the ball wide.

At the other end, Bradley then headed in from Dewsbury-Hall’s corner in the dying seconds, but referee David Webb ruled it out for a push in the area, ensuring the game ended goalless.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Email
  • Whatsapp

Comments 0